Wednesday 22 October 2014

#GharWaliDiwali - giving us precious memories to recollect through the years




The festival of light that fills the life of each one of us with glorious beacon of positive energy and a motivation thriving us for the year forward - yes, it's the festival of diwali.

I belong from a joint family and I know how special a joint family diwali is Be it the kids lightning crackers and the elders enjoying the occasional snacks, a game of rummy or just having a chat - the whole atmosphere during diwali is so special that even a normal day feels x100 more fun.

I remember my childhood days when I along with my elder brother used to decorate the house - not a single decorating item was purchased, everything was made from scratch and that's because we knew how to create beautiful colored lamps - just with the help of a colored paper but the outcome was astonishing.

Moreover, getting crackers in bulk for all 4 brothers - my father sure did know our favorite crackers. My brothers and I always fancied "deewar bomb" - safe to use and made huge noise. Each diwali with my brothers is fun and now that we've all matured and lead busy lives - when we get together on diwali, it again becomes a festival x100 more fun.

When my brothers and I were very young, on diwali - my mother would make sure of it that the day was filled with the best of the meals. Be it the 4-sided parathas with a tinge of salt over it or be it the chinni ka paratha along with turanta (spicy aloo topped with red mirch) or simple Dal - with the magic of my mother, even a simple dal would taste delicious, more so on the amazing festival of diwali.

We used to celebrate the diwali evenings with halua and aloo bhujia (snack) and that's how a perfect diwali went on for us.

For my father, it was and it still is about congratulating others and wishing them great happiness in the years forward, same goes for my mother - she congratulates all her relatives on the day of diwali because as is the ritual "diwali is a festival to be celebrated with family, for family".

On this diwali, I wish you all that your wishes come true and you come out victorious in whichever field of life you are - do remember though; a diwali spent with family is well spent. Spend this diwali recollecting your days from your childhood because without any second opinions on this - those were the days truly - when the liberty to fire as many crackers, the amazing dishes that kept us awaiting for diwali throughout the year and of course - all the hardwork that was put into decorating the house, those days will always be remembered for how much they meant to us and for how precious those were. 

No comments:

Post a Comment