Monday 21 July 2014

Good Job & Marriage.

In 1989 i finally got a good job as marketing Executive in a big company M/S CHOWGULE INDUSTRIES LTD.in their office product division in cannaught place,New Delhi.My job was to sell Canon copiers & EPABX systems to corporate & Institutions.While i was on probation period of 6 months,my parents decided that it is the best time to get me married and they started looking out for girl and i was totally unaware about this fact.

Chowgule Industries Pvt. Ltd. (CIPL) is a part of the 94-year-old Goa based Chowgule Group of Companies. 

The Chowgule group is diversified, professionally managed, having a turnover of over Rs. 1900 crore. The Group activities include :-

Iron Ore Mining
Beneficiation of Iron Ores
Pelletisation of Iron Ore
Transhipper Operations
Ship Building
Shipping
Port Infrastructure & Logistics
Shipping Agency & Logistics
Industrial Salt
Industrial Explosives
Industrial Gasses
TRADING
Construction & Waterproofing Chemicals
Social Projects etc.
One fine day my Bhabhi ( Sister-in-law ) told me that your marriage has been fixed in November and i got totally shocked.I protested that how can you do that to my parents? But they told me that the girl is very beautiful,very fair from a good family and i have even liked her photo but i said that  i have not seen her photo.Later my eldest bhabhi told me that she had put a BLACK & WHITE photo of the girl on fridge and i had seen you smiling after seeing the girls photo,so we thought you have liked the girl and i conveyed the same to your parents.
I told my bhabhi that i was smiling because the girl in the photo was wearing sleepers ( Hawai chappals ) and nobody told me that you are finalizing this girl for my marriage. Now my parents told me that we have already given our approval for marriage to girl's father and they have already reached delhi and will come day after tomorrow to finalize the marriage date.
At the time of my marriage there was a tradition in our mithila culture that you can not see the girl before marriage and if do see her then you can do it from some distance but then you can not refuse to marry her.So there was no point in seeing the girl and most of the marriage was decided by seeing the photo or going by the opinion of your nearby relatives who have seen the girl.
I told my parents that i am not going to marry and it is a matter of my career.I had completed only 4 months of my probationary period and i knew that my company will never grant me leave for minimum 10 days required for marriage since we had to go to bihar for marriage and in our culture boy remains at bride place for minimum 4 days after marriage.
On the other hand the girl parent was already here and they were staying in Bihar House and they wanted to know that when they should come to our place to finalize the marriage.My would be father-in-law was a Principal of our village school for last 35 years and nearly three generation of our village was his students and they all wanted this marriage must take place.He was respected like god in our village and it is really un-believable that even in these times there is so much respect for teachers and Guru.
Now my parents were in dilemma that what they should do? Since i was adamant on not marrying and my father told me that the girl father is an old man and now if i refuse him then he might die and he is also guru of our entire village.My elder uncle and brothers also tried to convince me and after getting frustrated in their effort they taunted me" Are you Impotant?  "This went on for four days and finally my parent told the girl father that my boy is not getting ready for marriage but we are trying very hard and you just wait for our call.
I will tell you the final story of my marriage in my next blog.

2 comments:

  1. Will be waiting for your next part too eagerly Anoop Jee :) Don't wait me for so long...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for showing interest.I have deliberately kept the suspense but promise you won't have to wait for too long.

      Delete